Monday, April 20, 2009

Terrible Tuesday

Today was one of those days when I should have stayed in bed with the covers pulled up over my head. I should have known it was going to stink when I was up at 12:45 with Neely Kate crying out my name. I went to get in her bed because I wanted, and desperately needed, a good night's sleep. Teaching 5th graders is the hardest right now because they are burned out on the TAKS and ready to be done with school. I can't blame them. It is exhausting though. I can't wait to start my new position as the Science specialist. Here goes my Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day.
1. Neely Kate is BURNING up all night. She squirms and cries out a few times. It couldn't be all that bad because at one point she laughed out loud waking me up.
2. I am finishing up my shower when a little red head comes in my bathroom crying out that "I need to hold you." Of course I am shaving my legs and can't hold her at that moment. Where is Chris during this? Where else would he be but in the bed asleep. I think men should be sensitive sleepers too. Based on previous experience I knew she was going to want to be in my arms while I attempted to get dressed. Needless to say I went to work with my hair soaking wet and makeup put on with the light trying to break through the blinds. I am rushing all the while my baby is demanding that she go to work with me too.
3. Two of my wonderful students are being nothing more than "wonderful." Do you catch my drift. You would think they would give me a break but not today. Their charts were full of wonderful choices they had made. luckily I was not the only teacher noticing the behaviors.
4. Teachers at school asked if I was okay and how were things. I know I looked like a zombie and felt like one but I guess it was worse that I thought.
5. I had my official observation done today. I did well but I did not feel like I did as best as I could have. I played my B/C game instead of my A game. I just did not feel it today. I still got an excellent review. Thank you to my students for shining bright like always.
6. My lunch, a healthy choice meal, had thawed in my frig and there was a slit in the side so part of it spilled out. Not a great lunch since all I had for breakfast was one of Neely Kate's cliff fruit bars and a bruised up banana. The fruit bars are really yummy. The banana I did not eat because I could not stomach it.
7. My wonderful student from the morning was acting wonderful again in Science. Of course he is in my class size of 36 which does not make things easier.
8. I had to come up with a plan for Science review for the next 7 days in a matter of minutes. So much for great planning. I do think I came up with a good solution since my principal liked the idea. I am breaking up the teachers instead of the students and the teachers will rotate every 30 minutes and teach the same concept to the different groups. In other words, I will be teaching the same mini lesson 6 times.
9. I get a call from my sitter saying that Neely Kate had just thrown up. What fun. I have to take another day off, I am almost out of time off and will be having to have my paycheck docked soon. I have to create lesson plans and find someone in the school to carry out my new plan that starts tomorrow. I can not in my right mind as a sub to do what I have planned. Only I am crazy enough to do that.

At least the positive about today is that I made it, it is over, and that Chris realized what a day I have had and said he would pick up dinner so that I did not have to worry about it. He might sleep through screaming but he is thoughtful when I need it most.

3 comments:

Becca said...

Sorry you had such a bad day! I hope the next one is better. I hope nothing else is wrong.

Kristi said...

Hugs... sorry it was a horrible day.

Mimi said...

Bless your heart! Al the beauties of motherhood with the blessings of teaching thrown in!

I hope the rest of the year is smoother sailing for you.
Mimi