Monday, May 4, 2009

Tuesday's Toddler

Neely Kate has always been very active, imaginative and quick to learn any and everything. I bought her scissors months ago, developmentally appropriate, to prepare her for later on. Students go to kindergarten not knowing how to hold scissors or cut and I do not want that for her. This is where my mom and sister roll their eyes and say "You are such a teacher. Poor Neely Kate." The scissors are for 3 years and up but she has always done things early so I was OK with it. I showed her how to use them when I bought them but she had no interest in it. This past Saturday she was going through her art bucket and found them. All of a sudden she started bringing me pieces she had cut. I was surprised that not only had she remembered how to use them correctly but at how well she did. The next day she told me that she wanted to cut my hair. Needless to say, her scissors are hidden under the cushion of the couch. She never looks under them so I guess I am safe for a while. I wish I had her legs. Here she is cutting paper from her Ariel notebook.
Neely Kate thought Gracie needed to wear her "Rella Noogets." Neely Kate's word for necklace. Gracie wore her noogets all day until it was time for a walk. I guess I have two princesses under my roof. As long as I am queen, I am fine with that.


2 comments:

Becca said...

That is too funny! I think the dog looks super cute.

Rachel said...

I still remember the day when I was cooking lunch and looked over to see Caroline holding a strand of hair. With an assured, "OH NO" look, I asked her what she did... Matter of factly, "I cut it." Well, duh??! We had to talk about that decision...