Friday, August 1, 2008

It Finally Happened!

Neely Kate and I were out shopping, really just looking around, in Target and we came across a lady in ethnic clothing. Neely Kate looked up at her and said, "Look, a snowman." I had not made eye contact with this lady as of yet, but had realized what my daughter had said and pretended as if she had identified something on the table as a snowman, anything covered in white is a snowman right now. The thing is, that once I did look at the woman, she did not have on any white but several beautiful colors. I was embarrassed because I did not think that NK was old enough to be on Kids Say the Darnest Things show yet. I debated on whether or not to apologize to the lady and make that a teachable moment. I did not, and tried to act as if the comment was about something else. Does that make for a weak mommy moment? I can only hope that the woman did not think NK was talking about her.

1 comment:

Kristi said...

Oh, no! I would have done the same thing, though. Most likely the lady wasn't paing attention and didn't hear NK or realize that SHE was the snowman. Eeek... kids!!! When I was about the same age, I had just been to the zoo & identified a man at the grocery store as a "grillo". He caught it, but had a sense of humor.