Sunday, November 22, 2009

Happy Birthday Millie!

Millie decided that she was going to welcome herself into the world earlier than I had planned. I just knew she was going to come when I wanted her to. I have already been told that it is on her schedule and not mine.

I was out with my friends for a much needed final Mom's Night Out before becoming a mommy to two. We went to a Mexican restaurant and I stayed out until 10. This is not unusual for me but my mom was not pleased with my decision. She called to check on me when see when I was coming home. Maybe that was my first sign. I got my shower when I got home because I knew I would want to sleep a little longer in the morning before having to go to work. Soo glad I did that! I woke up at 12:40 to what apparently was my water breaking. It was not a gush of water so I thought it was something else. My water trickled out for a while. I guess that is why I didn't think my water broke. Mom came and checked on me around 1:45 and told me to call the doctor. Chris had no clue that I was up or what was going on. He went to bed 45 minutes prior to this happening. The doctor on call finally called me back around 2 and told me to head to the labor and delivery ward. I HAD NOTHING PACKED AND WAS NOT READY TO GO IN!

We got to the hospital just after 3 a.m. and after getting me registered and all that I was 4 centimeters dilated. We were not going home like I thought I would. I am SOO glad my mom came in town a week early because we were able to leave Neely Kate at home. They got me hooked up to monitors and the waiting game began. I decided to get an epidural so that I could try to sleep thinking that it would not be until noon until any action started. I started feeling very uncomfortable under the spot the nurse had placed the monitor. I wanted to pull it off. The nurse told me that it was probably the baby coming under my pelvis but decided to check me anyway. I shocked her and myself in that I was completely done. WHAT? She had barely given me any medicine to help with getting the contractions going. I was still in shock that I was even there. Chris decides to wake up from his slumber and be supportive. Instead of going ahead and pushing we had to wait for my doctor because he was in a c-section at that time. The pain was getting tighter and I was determined not to push the button for more meds as it was wearing down. They started me with a low dosage. I would have made it without the meds until the nurse asked if my bottom was still numb. I told her it was but not as strong. She pushed the button for me. Dr. MacDonald shows us and quickly puts on his gown. Three contractions later, here is Millie. I was so shocked at how easy it was and how quick it was. The nurse told a student not to think labor was like this, that I made it look really easy. Thank you StrollerFit!

Millie's first bath.

Relaxing under the warming lights.


No comments: