Monday, December 29, 2008

Traditions both Old and New

I am very big on Christmas traditions, so much so that I will not budge on the ones that I grew up with but really want to create new ones for Neely Kate. Chris is very wonderful in that he has embraced all my family traditions. Here is how my Christmas runs.
Christmas Eve:
  1. Christmas Eve Service
  2. Christmas Eve meal on fine china in dining room
  3. Watch Small One as a family (this didn't happen this year because I do not own it)
  4. Christmas Story
  5. Open all presents from under the tree
  6. Leave out cookie and milk for Santa
  7. Go to bed (We all used to sleep in the same bed until that got weird when we grew older. We did try Daniel sleeping on the floor but that just got to be too much and he started sleeping in his bed but Mary Claire remained in mine until Chris and I got married.)

Christmas Day:

  1. Wake up early but it was a requirement of mine that everyone brush teeth. We also check to see if Santa left us any kisses. He did every year when we were younger.
  2. Mom and Dad take pictures/video us as we walk toward Santa
  3. Each person goes to their wonderful pile and begin to tinker with the items. Santa does not wrap our presents but arranges them very neatly.
  4. After everyone has seen their gifts we open our stockings together
  5. Breakfast together and everyone usually goes straight to a nap.
  6. Christmas Dinner of steaks is at night.

As I have gotten older, I appreciate these traditions and the reasons behind them. Presents were opened on Christmas Eve so that Daddy could see us open them because some years he would be on call or have to see patients on Christmas. Chris says that opening presents on Christmas Eve is silly but he never complains when we do it. These traditions are things that I want to do with Neely Kate. I did try some new things this year that I think will also become a part of our traditions.


Neely Kate invited some friends over to decorate ornaments and cookies. It was our first attempt at this kind of party and it went well. We all had a very good time and her ornament hung on our tree. I look forward to seeing her ornaments begin to cover our tree every year.Neely Kate made reindeer food to leave outside to help Santa's reindeer not only find our house but have a yummy snack as well. The food has to be a very special blend of oatmeal and sprinkles. Neely Kate worked very hard pouring the the right amount of sprinkles, the entire jar, and stirring it very well. She even spooned the mixture into the bag that we would later use to toss the food out onto the front sidewalk. Chris video taped her doing this and the video is to large to post. I will tell you that she was adorable and the ENTIRE sidewalk was covered in food for the reindeer.We decided to make cupcakes for Santa instead of cookies. All Santa gets for snacks is cookies and he needs a different snack. Neely Kate and my sister made the cupcakes for Santa while I attempted to make gumbo for the first time ever. My Nene made Gumbo for Christmas Eve and now I want to carry that on. I surprised myself in that I did a really good job. Neely Kate's beautiful outfit is from jumping on the trampoline and from gaining her own personality/independence. She picked out what she wore from the sweatshirt to the pants. Oh boy.Neely Kate soon discovered that it is far better to use the spoon to lick than it is to stir with. She did try to spoon the mixture into the cupcake holders and did a decent job. I hope Santa did not mind the double dipping she did. It was all sweetness as my family says.

My final thing that I will add to my family traditions is monkey bread. I added the Gumbo from my Nene and the monkey bread from my grandma. I can remember my cousin Lauren and I helping Grandma roll the biscuits in the cinnamon sugar and dropping them in the bundt pan. Grandma did the rest of it but it was something that the three of us did together. There are no pictures of this since I got up before everyone else to make it. I really enjoy adding things to my little family that I shared with my grandparents and parents. Hopefully these will be things that Neely Kate will want to do with hers. Next year I will try to incorporate things from Chris's side of the family.

1 comment:

Becca said...

Santa does not wrap our presents either. Apparently he would wrap Marc's when he was little and that was a big "discussion" when we got married.