Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Have You Ever Had...

Have you ever had just one of those days? I did yesterday and believe me, I never want to experience it again. Let's just say; science experiment gone wild, or should I say firey (yes ,I know that is not a real word but it works)? I was demonstrating the point at which water boils using a pot, hot plate and science probe. Well, something in the hotplate caught fire and yes, there were flames. They started out very small and then turned into bananas foster. I sent my students into another teacher's class room so that I was keeping them safe. Notice how I said, THEM safe. I could have thrown the boiling water on my ever growing flame but thought that would not be smart since it is electrical and still plugged in. I placed my pot of boiling water on the carpet and reached under the table to unplug my very hot hot plate, interesting though as it did not feel hot to the touch. I picked up the flaming hot plate, yes I picked it up, and headed out the door. There is a short hallway outside my door that is full of lockers that leads to the outside. Luckily, the counselor was right there and ran to open the door for me. I quickly placed the hot plate on the ground and let it burn out. I was following the plan I was supposed to with the exception of using a beaker. I am so glad i changed to a pot instead of the beaker. Could you imagine?

3 comments:

Kristi said...

Oh, no!!! I got a total mental picture of you carrying a hot plate out of your classroom!

Becca said...

LOL... I shouldn't laugh, but I know just how easily things can go wrong in the science lab. Don't forget your ABC's of fire extinguishers; you wouldn't want to use the wrong kind.
A= Ash
B= Boil
C= Current

Becky said...

Wow...sounds scary!! Watchout fire dept:)))